A camera, any camera. My kingdom for a camera.

40
I am well on my way to my 50s. It takes some getting used to the idea but I am getting there. From that same token, I have been making pictures for some 20 years. It may seem like a long time, but I am kidding myself if I were to say I know more than you. The fact is, I may or may not know more than you. You! Yes, the one who is reading this, thinking when, if ever, I am going to get the part when I will say to you, yes buy that brand. The truth is, it's not about the brand. That is secondary. What is primarily important, is what you look in a camera.

Idris, taken with Nex 7.
Seriously
I have met many individuals, who, brand loyalty aside, swear that the camera that they are using are the best that G.O.D has ever invented. Yes, that is how one can be so uptight with. I refused to be led into such pointless argument. There is no point. Not for an individual like me. At least, not while you are arguing about it. The best point a man can make is when he can provide proof. Yes proof, that the brand he is so religiously cling on to is the best. I think not.

Many brands, Just one you.
Yes, that is the point I am making. Which brand you subscribe to, its up to you. But which camera that you finally decided on, depends on the things around you. To cite an example, one may say that Canon manufactures the best cameras. I am not arguing about that, although I beg to differ. What you end up with is something, that may or may not be from Canon. The camera that you end up with is determine by factors around you. Factors such as budget, time and even physical strength. I would love to have the manly EOS1D mk something. But I really would not want heave that thing around with me while I go on my morning walks. Yet, while I love to bring a pocketable Canon S90, I can possible find that adequate for nature shots in the bushes and mangrove. So, since it is just me, I can choose to have more than one camera. And those cameras do not just come for 1 manufacturer. There is only one me, there is no shame in having 2 cameras in my camera bag. But, since there are only one of you, there is nothing to stop you from bringing more than 1 camera from the same manufacturer. So here it the clincher, it's not the manufacturer that you should be loyal to, its you. You have to be loyal to you, just you.

Technology
Technology has gone so far, that the supply of megapixel has outpaced the demand. You can have the first generation camera using the first generation sensor, and they can still produced images that will leave your mouth gaping.

Blue Skies, Taken with Sony A65 with SMC Takumar 28mm
I kid you not. I have been using A- Mount cameras when I was still in my early twenties. A friend introduced me to the Dynax 600si. That was my only camera and I took weddings and engagement parties with it. I bought some lense but I made do with the kit lens 28-80. It had a battery grip stuck on it for the longest time. It died on my when it fell, while still on my tripod. It died when the mirror strike through the shutter curtains. It pains me. You always remember your first.

Jackfruit leaf. Used my KM 7D and a Sony 30mm macro.


Replacement
I went for the cheapest replacement I can find. I settle with 8000i. It has a sync socket from which I can connect my Metz 60ct4. I had no choice, I had a wedding to shoot. It suffice but then i started working, and from there my collection grew. Soon I had or still have a 9xi. Several more lenses until I heard about digitalisation. Minolta took a long time to come up with a good enough body, I had to wait for many more years. They soon came out with the Dynax 7D. It was good enough for me, but the years finally took its toll. The front and rear selector switches could not rock and roll anymore and I had to ditch it. By that time, I had my Sony nex 5. Several more lenses and soon the nex 7 came a knocking and several more lenses later, I had a final go with the A65. All this while, if I had actually learnt anyting, was that all I did was to waste money.

Conclude
If only I know how to listen to my brain. How to listen about the nagging feeling I feel whenever I touch the cameras. If only I knew that all of the digital cameras, that that they were the same. What is different between them is how they represent themselves. Some are smaller, some produces nice sounds while others just are as plain and as colorful as they want to be. But they are similar. They serves one basic needs. To capture light and to let you control, to certain extent, on how its done. 

Olympus EP3, taken with my Samsung Galaxy note 2.0
I have bought 3 olympus cameras. The EP1, EP2 and the EP3. One for my son, one for my nephew and one for spare. Both them, and I can use any of the cameras that I have. Why not? If one fits better than the other, why should I restrict them from using my very expensive nex 7 camera and lenses?

Thus, its all about the fit. How the camera feels in your hand. If I had touch the EP1 earlier, I would shot with the EP1 until it broke. There, I have said it. I like the EP1. I think that its a magical camera. The first day I had it, I recorded memories of my son prawning and my wife dehooking the poor fella, the prawn not my son! I feel at ease with the controls.  And I really like the results.  The EP2 felt rather similar with the EP1 and I brought that to a Gamelan presentation. I did not worry about the high ISO noise, or the sharpness or the distortion of the lenses. It turned out good enough for me.

Wayang Kulit. Taken using one of the Oly cameras.

Precisely thats my point. Its good enough for me. And because I am loyal to me, its good enough. I should concern less with the words printed on the camera body and worry more on capturing the images. Many would wonder as to the mega pixel, the white balance. I would think that they have their reasons to worry, for that is them. I would not. 

Enjoy your camera. Used it, abused it. Its not a trophy where you showcase it to those who step into your house. Bring your camera along. Wherever you go, and take, no make, pictures and memories that only you can produce.

Be gone!

Slim



Comments