EM1, sort of. Page 1

Why I want the EM1
The Olympus Em1, many of us should know is the current thee camera for the Micro 4/3 system. Some raved about its design, its extra grip grip, its fantastic electronic viewfinder, its many customisable buttons. Seriously? Although those matters to many and maybe to some, I for one think that many has missed its ability to focus peak. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, in my opinion, focus peaking is the one missed functionality that is missed by many for one of the more important groups of people that Olympus could and would have yet to influence, the group that manual focusses.

Plenty
There are many gems out there in the world than can surpass modern lenses in terms of picture quality and even provides character that modern lenses seems to lack. Take a look at all those coveted  M lenses by Leica. Its not for nothing that such lenses are going for more than I can afford right now. But I digress, this is a review of the Minolta MD or SR mount 24mm 2.8. And as an aside, I will tell you why I do not need and Em1.

Why I do not need and Em1.
Wishful thinking that is. Its not that I do not need it, I cannot afford it. Its closed to 3 THOUSAND DOLLARS in this part of the world. I cannot afford !@!# THOUSAND DOLLARS! For a kit! Actually I can afford the $$ but why should I spend that amount when Olympus has provide me a fair enough alternative. I am now using the EPL2. Which I got for a measly $120. I bought a VF4, which surprisingly, aids in my manual focussing and together with the magnification functions, it provides a very much cheaper "otherwise".

Using the EPL2, I am now enjoying my other manual focus lens such as the Minolta 24mm 2.8 MD.

Review
I have never intentionally done a review. I am doing this, and hopefully, this will be a regular thing, because there is hardly any attempts, at least those that I can google for, articles on legacy lenses on M43 systems. So I think, the time has come.

History
I bought the lens when I first bought my Nex 5. I bought it for $400. I thought that was quite step for such an old lens, but it turned out that this particular model is quite sought after. That was about 4 years ago. Ever since the day that I brought it home and today, it has only seen the light of day twice. Yup, that day and today.

The camera with the lens. Taken with a Contax G 28mm EP3.

This one has a filter thread size of 55mm and rumour has it, its of Leica origin. Rumours are just rumours, right. I mean, who cares (I do actually!!).

Feel
It feels long on the EPL2. Much longer than I would like. Mind you, this is after its attached to an adapter. The focussing is smooth, has a very short throw and goes from 0.3m to 5m with a flick of your wrist, without that much effort. The minimum aperture is 2.8 and goes all the way to f22. Its light however, and weight distribution is still back heavy, that is, most weight is felt on the EPL2.

On the EPL2
The focal length is 24mm, thus, it gives a 48mm field of view on the 35mm equivalent. A very standard type of focal length. Perfect for general use, many might say. One should not forget that its still a 24mm, the field of view is just cropped out, not transform. Thus depth of field is still of a 24mm and together with the physics of a M43 sensor, an aperture of 2.8, gives a good deal of depth of field.
The performance
I aim to present a normal everyday usage report instead of the scientific discovery methods and what nots. These one can get by googling or binging... Nevertherless, a third into the first day of its use is promising. I will update this page as and when I can get new pictures. As it is, it has been a practise of mine to use a different lens everyday. However, for the sake of continuing reviews, I would extend this practise for a week. Thus, theoretically, there should be 7 updates. Stay tuned.

Oh what the heck!

I have already taken some shots. Using my youngest son's multicoloured plastic balls as models, I attempt to show its bokeh-ness and it's wide open capabilities. Although, by itself, I am favourable to the characteristics of the lens, I am a longish focal length type of person.


Blue ball, MFD, wide open.

I would think that there is a fair amount of blurriness in the background. The good thing, is that the blue ball, all of it, is in focus.

Blue, among many others

As you can see and I hope that you agree, the blurriness is quite pleasant. Ok. Will update soon.

Page 1.


Comments