A retrospective review, the GF1.

Smaller
The GF1
There was a time, while I was using my Nex 7, I scoffed at any cameras of the micro four thirds standard. I love the fact that my sensor is bigger than theirs!  Yes, I admit it, I was one of them. But apparently, I sold my Nex 7, along with my A65 and am now the proud owner of an EP3, and an EPL2. Two days ago, I got my hands on a Panasonic GF1. This model was first released in 2009, if I am not wrong. Its 2014 now, and this camera still looks and feel new to my hands.

The Past
People say that the only things that remain constant are death and taxes. I'd say, if the future brings changes, then the past must be what has been permanent. And in this respect, I'd say the GF1 is one camera that is a blast from the past.

EPL2
Size wise, there is not much different between the 2 cameras. The EPL2, however, has a more pronounce grip than the GF1. Other than that, there is not much to quibble at. Sensor wise, both units give pictures of 12 megasomething bytes. I do find the Olympus Art filters more fun to play with. The  GF1 has more film modes, something I have yet to find a preference from.

Took it out
Reflections off a pond.
I took it out for a spin, barely 24 hours after I got it. I use a Panasonic 14-45 lens on it and went to Lorong Halus. I took many shots, close to 300 and the camera still can go on. The person who sold this camera to me, take pains to enlightened me on the battery's prowess. This is my 3rd day with it, and yeah, the camera does not seems to want to slow down. Thus, battery wise, you have to hand it the GF1. It can last much longer.

Black and White Smooth Flim Mode


Handling
I was, no, make it still am perplexed by the GF1 menu system. I find it peculiar that you can press in the rear knob inwards and this will toggle between setting the aperture and the exposure compensation functions. Bear in mind, that I would generally think that such buttons and functions
Ixoras, Jpeg
can be customised on the GF1, but peculiar in that that is how it is first set up. Animation on the LED telling you to press in the rear knob, just does not make any sense, at first. Anyway, my point is, the EPL2 has better, straight out of the box, functions assignments to each buttons, than the GF1. Nevertheless, I believe that once you are used to the camera, you would be used to this peculiar characteristics, thus making it not peculiar at all.

Pictures
I tried to use high iso, but I just could not. Something within me tells me that high iso is a good to have. But something in my brain tells me, no questioned me, as to why is the highest native iso is at 1600? Thus, for most of my shots, its a variety of iso 100, 400 and 800. I cannot answer that though. The camera does suit my needs, in terms of general photography.

Kit
Emping Belinjo
As the camera was supposed to come with a kit lens and that kit lens was a supposed to be a Panasonic 20mm, I mated this GF1 with a Panasonic 20mm of my own. I wanted to test the Auto White Balance capabilities, and as me and my family was dining out by the sea under starlight and a very warm, what looked like a road side lamp post, I thought it would be a perfect time to see if it will work. And yup, work it did, reproducing the almost exact colour balance. Not that I prefer it to be that yellow, but it does record it nicely.

Delicious Prawns

AF
Auto focussing was adequate, but hunt it does. For some reasons, it could not lock onto a big flower when the focussing point was set to the central focussing point. I had to change the AF mode to MF and then guide the lens to focus on the flower. I find that very strange.
Bamboo poles

Conclusion
I like this camera. For its compactness and for its versatility. Its simple to operate and the battery has more juice than what I need. It may not be suitable for several other uses though, for example, studio shoot while tethering. But for something, that I can take along with me on my daily commutes and expects great raw files, than yeah, this camera fits that needs.

Slim

Better reviews here.

More inputs here.

Comments