Fine Alley

A day out with the Fujifilm Xe1 and the Fujifilm 18-55 lens.

The xe1 with the 18-55 kit lens. The optional hand grip is fixed onto the xe1.


Many a user has wrote about or share a video about the Xe1. Being a late adapter, I managed to secure a used body for SGD$380. The 18-55 lens was one of the first lens that I bought for this system and I got that for SGD$400. Some may ask if I am switching system, from M43 to the X-Mount system. Looking at the short term, I would say, no. I still have more fun shooting with my EPL2 and the GX1. But one should not compare apples to oranges. One should contextualise the reason one use a particular camera. But try as hard as I might, I am still searching for reasons as to why XE1 is still with me. It is just "is".

Lorong Halus
Lorong Halus, or literally translated as Fine Alley, used to be a waste dumping ground. Its now a show case as to how rainwater is trapped and cleaned for consumption using the earth's natural ability. Its a beautiful place now, connected to Pasir Ris Farmway(s) and Punggol New Town via a bridge. Anyway, I have not really took the 18-55 lens out for a shoot as it is pretty heavy. That weight, together with the length makes it unwieldy. However, I bought a handgrip and the handling improves substantially.

Velvia
One of the better things that can be found in the XE1 bag of tricks is the film simulation ability. I try not to touch this function, preferring to shoot RAW and edit my pictures in LR. But it does gives a more interesting touch to its JPEGS.

Heliconia


Jpegs are more vibrant and saturated. I am fine with it.  I would not recommend setting this function as the default setting as the colours can be over powering in some instances.

Pink Heliconia


The background blur of this lens is surprisingly yummy! It does makes the subject stands out.

Heliconia Vertical


I tried to take as much as I can but luck was not with me because my battery went flat. Prior to that, my shooting experience with this set up was very pleasant. Focussing was fast, and quiet! Not to mentioned accurate. There was OIS or the built in stabiliser in the lens and yeah, that helps a lot!

Even when the sky was overcast, the velvia simulation helps to add in more punch to the shots!

Admiring the view


The AF and the OIS definitely helps in taking this shot of the small white flowers.

Small white flowers


Took several shots of the bridge. Using both ends of the zoom lens.

Bridge at 18mm.

I was lucky that this boat came by.
Bridge at 55mm

Such pictures make life much more pleasant.

The bridge has interesting geometrical shapes.

Bridge, black and white



A sign many ignored. So be careful. The first 2 pictures are processed using LR 5 Ansel Adams black and white presets. While the picture of the joints is made using the built in monotone conversion found in camera. 
Dismount and Push


The joints



I tend to use the various Holga presets.

Resting


One of the last few frames. My battery died on me. I should not have used the Toshiba Flash Air sd card. It does drain out the battery. Oh well lesson learnt.

Walking and cycling


To sum up
I like this lens. Focussing is sharp, almost instantaneous, for the Fuji Film system that is. I would have thought the AF would have been faster using the primes, but I was proven wrong.

Keep on shooting!

















Comments