Fujifilm 18-55mm, a rant

It is NOT that small
What can you expect? For a mirroless set up, this lens is not small. Its not that big either, well, its not too big. Why am I ranting about the size of this lens? Because its there to be ranted on. Having used the M43 lenses, I have a certain expectations on size.

Many people I know, Fuji fanboys, most probably, claimed that this is the kit lens to have. All is well if this kits lens fits on another body except Fuji, but lo and behold, it does not. Can you imagine if this kit lens would fit on a Nikon D4s? But does it matter? Am I getting a Nikon D4s, or even dreaming about it? Nope. Nah... Maybe... Nope. Confirm.

The image quality of this lens is anything but that comes out from a traditional kit lens. It could be because of the body, the software or the weather, I do not give a shit. It works. It surprises me no end. That, thus, lies one of the problem, surprises. I hate surprises. Sometimes its a good surprise sometimes its not. Still have got lots of more to learn to reduce the rate of surprises.

However, even if this thing is heavier, made from less plastic, it starts at f2.8! I coupled this with an XE1 (I am so outdated) and I am loving it. Not those french fries type of love but you know what I mean.

For the record, when I first started using Fuji, nary a year ago, this lens was going for SGD$600 used. I bought mine about 2 days after I got my XE1 for a song, SGD$400. I sold it, because I was into primes. I sold it for SGD$380. After realising that my primes would not be able to cut it for my upcoming holiday, I decided to get another one. I got it for SGD$300. Wow! I got it here.

I am trying to have this lens permanently on my XE1 so that I am prepared for the upcoming trip to Malacca. This should BOOM!

Why the zoom? Why not primes? Because I will be doing the driving that's why. Because I have a 22 months old son who loves to leave his imprints wherever he goes, thats why. Because I am sick and tired about losing a prime lens, again, thats why. So I am trying to keep to a one lens, one camera gear.

How do I count the ways?
It has an apeture ring. You can change the aperture as fast as the OS of the camera allows you. For example, if you turn the aperture ring while the camera is writing or buffering, the changes won't take effect. You have to wait. And the OS is very slow (ok not that slow but it can be slower), as compared to the other brands.

The Manual Focus Ring is bigger or wider than the aperture ring with an even bigger zoom ring in between. That is swell. Hates those ultra thin focussing ring found in many kit lens. If only the focus peaking works as nice as those on the Sonys.

It comes with a removable hood. If you remove it, the combo looks quite good. I am keeping it on however. My 22 months old decided that the gap in the elevator shafts needs it more than I do. Thus...

Internal focussing. Thats is a heaven sent. Nobody will know that your camera is focus hunting. Add points to your credo as the official photographer of the family/group/universe.

When it works
When it works, now more often than not, it shines! That is why I am keeping it. It focusses silently, it zooms  without any creep or creak, it has OIS, which is so silent, I do not even know if its on. And finally, it has markings for the focal length of 18, 23, 35 and 55. All of which are focal lengths of the primes which I lust after. Such marking helps when people other than yourself, use your camera. Instead of saying, turn a bit more than half way to take a group photo, you can say, turn to the 23mm mark and Bam!


So it works
I do not know how I could have sold the first one I bought. Oh, its because I sold it to get the x100s. Another gem. or gemlike.

Some pictures to share.

Big blue yonder.

Gunkan

Su and Idris

Idris

Adam and Idris

Idris

Display Case

Playing soccer

School's Canteen

Small red flowers

Su


More pictures to be updated here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/qathirah/sets/72157643827330945




Comments