X100s went to Bandung.

Gear Junkie
Being a gear junkie, I had reservations when I brought only my x100s to a Bandung trip with the family. At least, I would have thought, I would have brought my xpro1 and at least 2 lenses. I stuck to my guns and bought only the x100s, together with its charger, 4 batteries and 2 sd cards. All fit in nicely in my Milican bag with room to spare.

Since its a family trip, my 2 year old son took much of our time. So much time in fact, that there was limited time spent on "photography". Whatever time there was, in between tantrums, nappy change, travelling between locations, was spent with the x100s IN my Milican. But when those opportunities arose, I am so grateful that the compactness of the x100s allows me to capture images and attend to my family almost at the same time.

At Lembang Floating Market
As with all the times I shoot, I shoot RAW + Jpeg. I set most of the Jpegs to be shot in Velvia and the x100s provide very rich colors.

I used the RAW files when I need to tweak pictures, to save them. One of them is the shot of us on the tarmac. The camera was set to f2 and it was almost noon. What I got was almost a whitwashed digital file. Opening up LR, I managed to pull in the highlights and adjusted the shadows and I managed to get a decent image.

Boarding the plane back home.

I would never thought of saying this, but the 23mm lens serves more than double duty. I would have thought that the focal length would be the constraints when I shoot, but for a situation like bringing it to a family holiday, I have never once felt constraint by the focal length.

Interesting wall paper at a road side "culinary".

Nothing can be further from the truth. You would want your gear to work well, you would want to feel that your gear work well. In many respect, the x100s does work well. Except, I do not feel it. I blame the almost silent leaf shutter. There is no confidence building "click" you get from a camera when you press the shutter. I want that confidence. However, in the absence of the mechanical "click", the images more than makes up for it.

Bearing in mind, that I have no experience using another camera in the same category like the x100s, I think that is the camera of choice for a holiday, or my holiday.

About Bandung
The traffic is ridiculously bad. It seems that there is a new highway that allows a 2 hour commute between Jakarta and Bandung as compared to a 6 hour ride. Thus, traffic in the town has increased tremendously. I would strongly suggest that you break your itineray to 2 places a day. Else, you would spend most time in the vehicle you are travelling in. Oh, and come during the weekdays. It seems the local stays at home during the weekend because of the bad traffic.

But the food, they are so good. If I were to go there again, it would be because of the food.

Padang food. Superb. At Restoran Sederhana.

Many different types of sambal. This was at Alas Daun Restaurant. Delicious.

Normal roadside snacks which you can buy in a clean environment in Lembang Floating Market.

If you do decide to go to Bandung, please increase your tolerance level for its traffic and you might enjoy yourself much, much more.

Bye Bandung.

Comments