Which camera?

A question I asked myself
all to often. Which camera is for me? Which camera can give help me today? And the answer will inevitably be, whichever, whatever.

Too many questions
are asked on which camera is best. Too few questions is asked on what do you shoot. That to me is a far far more important question. But a more important question would be, how often do you shoot. Because that will lead to the type of camera you need and not the type of camera you want. Because wants is endless, needs is sufficient.

Let me explain
my theory. If you shoot very often, then you need a light camera. If you shoot very rarely, then you might be saving up using your camera for a specific occasion. In that, you may need a bigger camera, something to justify the special occasion. As for me, I shoot or I try to shoot everyday. As such, I opt for the lightest camera I can afford.

Things are not that
cheap. An iphone for example, costs more than a thousand dollars whereas a used olympus EP2 may cost about 2 hundred dollars.

Beginners
should take note. Most of the times, they don't. They should be aware that marketing budgets of those big camera companies may sway what the beginners think they need to one which they want. For example, I don't see having to be able to shoot at 10 frame per second is an actual need during a birthday party. And I really do not think having a sensor the size of an actual 35mm negative would boost up your photo taking prowess. So what do I think would be the best camera for somebody who would want to "just get started". Any camera will do. No, let me rephrase that. Any camera that the user is comfortable with will do. How comfortable is comfortable? Well for one, the user should be comfortable with the camera outside of holding it in the camera shop. He should be comfortable in bringing it out on all manners or in the modes of transportation he or she is more inclined to be taking.
If he takes the bus, he should be comfortable in taking out his camera and snapping while in the bus. If he is comfortable in taking an almost 2kg machine with a tele lens and aimed it at people, why should be not buy that camera. I for one, prefers to be more discreet. I rather that people not know I have a camera with me. I am comfortable like that.

Types of cameras
are aplenty. There are those that are called DSLRs, then there are those that are called Mirroless and then there are those that are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME types. Either way you look at it, unless you are willing to suffer losses by buying and selling, I would suggest you start by looking for one which you are comfortable with.



Comments