Adapters, adapting

Joy
One of the joys that I find when shooting using a mirrorless camera is the ability for camera to be used with lenses from other makes. There are several restrictions though when using such a set up, is that one usually is left with manual focus. Metering systems available to you is dependent on the camera body you are using. 

Best
One of the best things of using a set up is the type of lenses available to you are almost infinite. From the classic m42 type of lenses to those of very much sought after m-mount lenses, the choice is only limited by the resources available to you.  It's not that expensive, it can be, but it may not be. A fujifilm 90mm f2 may cost me $1000 and up while a nikkor 85mm f2 ai cost me just $100.

Not so good
One of the not so good thing about using this set up, is one usually have to shoot using manual focus. This, may out put off some people, who relies heavily on their auto focus capabilities of their new modern camera bodies. But, and this But is very subjctive, manual focussing, some people, me included, feels that manual focussing allows them to have a more immersive photo taking experience. On a personal note, it made me realise that sharpness is not everthing.

Nex 7 with the Nikon 50mm Ai
I plan to write down my feelings or reviews on the different adapted lenses that I have used and hopefully share some pictures I took.

How does it work?
I recommend camera bodies that uses an electronic view finder. The Sony Nex system get top marks for me. They were the first to introduced a focussing aid to help in manual focussing. Its called focus peaking and I find this to be the best way to focus using manual focus lenses.
Try this link that may help you more in your understanding of how it works.

I have used Olympus Ep series camera bodies with their electronic viewer as well. But their system, can be blood curdling slow when used with focus peaking. Most times I just use my guess and check approach. Which is basically you guess. Ha ha ha.

Fuji bodies, when it comes with focus peaking, I would suggets the xe2 and newer bodies. The xt2 is fantastic but i do not like the form factor.

Anyway, the point of this post is to introduce, if you have not been, to another aspect of photo taking.

The super takumar on my Epl2. Taken with the Olympis Ep3 and contax 28mm 2.8 G lens.

Taken with the Epl2 with the Takumar 105mm

Last but not least, one has to consider the crop factor of the sensor in your camera. For most of the lenses that I used, they are meant for full 135mm format film camera. So for the micro 4 3rd systems, the 105mm will give you a x2 focal length. Thus that 105mm lens is actually giving you a 210mm reach.

I guess I can afford the time to post a couple more.
Nex 5 with the contax 45mm f2 g lens.

Taken with the nex 5 and the contax 45mm g lens.
 
Disclaimer.
I am not an expert, but these are my pictures taken with the gears I used to or still owned. I do not have any scientific instrument to measure the sharpness level, so yeah, this post and hopefully the several following posts would shows one another aspect of photo taking which may it more enjoyable.

Bye. Till the next post.



Comments