AUTO Vivitar 105mm 2.8

Dug Deep
Today I decided to dig deep in my dry cabinet. Was looking for a lens that I last used a few years back. And yes, its the Vivitar 105mm. Found the adapter too, which was attached to the Takumar 135mm. As in my previous post, ever since I have been using mirroless such as the Olympus EP3, the Sony Nex 5, using adapted lens brought another dimension of joy to my photography. Not looking down at native, af lenses of which I have plenty, I find older lenses provide me with a different challenge to my photography journey.

Wheelchair
As an onset of gout has placed me on a wheelchair most of the time, opportunities to take photographs becomes more limited. But I do still shoot. I will update more pictures on this Flickr page. Currently most pictures that I have are of my two sons. Enjoy and leave comments if you please.

Taken using the xpro1 and the 32mm touit.


The set up
I used to shoot this lens with a variety of Sony E mount bodies, but ever since I have picked it up again, it has been paired with my Fujifilm Xe2.

Contrast
This lens is very contrasty. I think this is the only lens in my collection that I need to tune down the saturation and the contrast setting in light room. Superb when taken in black and white.

Idirs. XE2.

Idris, XE2

Size and appearances
The lens is heavy. It really does not balance well with the XE2 and when its on the XE2 with the M42 to FX adapter, the lens really juts out. When taken in potrait mode, I find that I really need to be aware of the heft and weight of the setup. Most pictures, full body, taken in portraiture mode tends to have its focus off by a bit. I guess, as with other lenses, one needs to "play" with this lens more often to get the hang of it.

Handling
As I mentioned above, this is a lens built like a tank. It makes my set up front heavy. I wonder how will it be if I used a DLSR form factor with it. I would think the handling would improve. As one "play" with it a bit more, I can feel its "quirks" and with muscle memory, hopefully I get better focussed shots.

Results
The black and white images from this lens is amazing. Contrasty and very punchy. Color images came out pastel looking, but striking enough. And the out of focus areas, they are awesome. Take a look at the images below.

Edited in LR

Edited in LR
Edited in LR

Edited in LR

Conclusion, sort of..
I will continue to use this set up. I think this using this lens gave me an itch or a feeling of excitement I don't feel with the other lens. Hope it will last.

Bye. Here to sharper images.

Comments