7 artisans 25mm 1.8



In progress
This is truly a blog in progress. Usually I will write about a lens after I have used that lens for about a week. However, I cannot seemed to remove this lens from xe2 ever since I got it. Anyway, I have begun to upload pictures in this album in Flickr. I think I only have a couple uploaded but more will be there soon.

Have fun waiting, just as I am having fun shooting with this little gem. Picture above was taken using the Carl Zeiss 85mm 1.4 Planar.

Onslaught
I think one should be prepare for another onslaught. Photography is going to be more flexible and accessible now with cheaper AND well made lens from behind the so-called bamboo wall. Brands like 7artisans, and Meike has managed to produced lens that can compete in so many areas with lenses that are manufactured in the more traditional countries.

Appropriately niche.
Many of the newer lenses are made to fit the newer mirrorless mounts such as the M43, Fuji X and the Sony E mount. While most are apsc, some are made for full frame sensor cameras. Lenses such the 7artisans 50mm 1.1 comes in M mount which can be easily adapted to many mirrorless mounts, and we know that M-mount adapters are also one of the slimmest for mirrorless cameras.

7artisans 50mm 1,1, xe2
Adapter adapted.
I am a constant user of older film lenses on digital bodies, and the simplest ways to mount these lenses are through the use of adapters. These adapters can costs anything from lesser than $10 to more than $200 for those fanciful ones with glasses in them. However, with the newer lenses form Zhonglai, 7artisans, they are factory fitted to the various mirrorless digital mounts. I can't seem to stop talking about this fact simply such lenses make my camera looks beautiful. Without the adapters, the set up becomes more compact and more "shoot" friendly. You really want to pick it up and start shooting. And we as all know, the more we shoot, the more we should improve. So, carry on shooting.

Many many variants.
The one thing that the Chinese company are moving away from the traditional designs and engineering of the lenses are the many variants of the lenses they reproduce. Lets take the 7 artisans 50mm LENSES. Those LENSES comes in a 50mm 1.1 (m-mount), 55mm 1.4, 50mm 1.8 and the most expensive ones are not more than $600. 

7artisans 50mm 1.8

50mm is not your cup of tea? Try a 35mm f2, 35mm f1.2 or a 35mm f something... just searched on EBAY!

I love my Zeiss
Never did I mentioned such lenses are taking away the traditional Zeisses or the Pentacons, or the Super-Taks. What I am focussing on is the fact that photography has become more accessible now with the entry of such China based lense making companies. The characteristics of a Leica may not be matched by such lenses but not everybody can even dream or want to dream of having their hands on such "premium glasses". But now, more people could have their hands on a f1.1 lens.

Made in Japan Contax G lens 90mm, a Zeiss
 I am all for it. But there is one thing or point that I have to point out. All those "newer, cheaper lenses" are manual focus. I would like to see it positively. It will force one to really think about composing, focussing and anticipating. Its old school. But its still schooling at one its best.

7artisans 25mm 1.8, xe2
I am so fortunate to be able to afford the 7 artisans 25mm 1.8 and the 7 artisans 50mm 1.8. I also fortunate to have a friend who loaned me his 7 artisans 50mm 1.1. All of the pictures shown are shot using the fuji xe2. 

Looking forward to more pictures.



Comments