Panasonic Gh3, Black and White

Video
I realised that while the Gh3 is a very capable camera in taking videos, I am not. As such unlike stills, I am experiencing a very steep, almost perpendicular climb, in grasping the management aspect of video. I have however, taken some videos and I must admit, it is quite not that difficult to capture video using the camera, just press the red button and voila!

A picture a day
On the other hand, I have now embarked on a new project, to upload a single picture, black and white to my instagram account.(search for qathirah). The objectives are two fold. While one is more camera, hardware based, the other is a form of self improvement. Trying to force myself to see in black and white and to appreciate lines, forms sans color can be difficult since color is all around me.

My first few
Today is the first day and this is a couple I took with the Gh3 and the Panasonic 20mm.

My Left Foot.

Veins.
White balance
An observation I had when I was shooting with the camera, unlike other brands like Fujifilm, this camera has only one monochrome mode. It has only one monochrome but several color modes. However, pressing the WB button while you are in any modes allow you to fine tune the WB. Thus, I believe, if you want to add more "red" you move the pointer to wherever you desire. Cool eh? However, for this initial attempt, I left the pointer at the center (central?, neutral?) position. I can always experiment later.

Not yet done for the day
I have not chosen which is the final picture for the day though. I will update this post here again, InsyaAllah.

Continuation
Sent my son to school, and in between the to and fro, I tried to capture more shots. I must admit, this camera gives pleasing black and white. Almost all shots are direct from camera Jpeg. Some are cropped.

Love a bit more contrast though, I guess the diffuse light can be because of the haze.

While Meli was replacing the bed sheet. Its bed sheet Friday.

Potrait of my 6yo.

Vertical Highway.

At the lift lobby.

Saw the daughter of a neighbour playing. Decided to shoot a lower shutter speed to show her hyperactivity. Favourite pic of the lot.

Peek-A-Boo

Hope to shoot more pictures.

Continuation.
Black and white are not appropriate for everything. I observed that Food lost its, er, color when taken in black and white. But then, this is a learning moment. Maybe there is a was I can capture food in black and white and bring out the characteristics of it through the medium.

Anyway, this was what I had for dinner.

Thank you for reading.


Nasi Lemak for Dinner.

Comments