Panasonic Gh3 Pt3, sports.

Focussing Modes

Not used to shooting with AFC or continuous tracking, the GH3, and I assume lots of other cameras offer this function. Mated it with the Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 Mk1 and I hoped for the best.
Without referring to the manual, accessing the functions from the quick menu and the main menu can be daunting. It was then that I saw a switch that toggles between the various modes. There were AFS/ AFF and AFC, apart from MF (which I take it meaning as Manual Focus) modes. Don't really know what is the different between AFF and AFS, so I switched to AFC, which I take it to mean Auto Focus Continous.

*will read the manual later.

I then realised I need to go into the Q menu to select the type of AF points. So I selected Tracking mode. To see the AF point jumping around was a bit unnerving. A friend, the night before, had then set the touch screen to off set mode so that I can use the LCD to control the AF point while looking through the EVF. Once I got that in my system, its just a matter of shoot, shoot and shoot.

Not bad.

The M43 system offers lots of depth of field even at f2.8. As such its easier to get things in focus rather than out of focus. Zoom the lens to a wider focal length and the depth of field increases, lots.


The focusing was so quiet and instantaneous that I could not know if it was focusing or I was just swinging it. It turned out that the focusing indicator would turn green if my subjects was in focus. I guess this is what you called "OJT" on the job training.

I am so glad the GH3 was focusing right.

As I get more comfortable, my concentration shift from composing and all the buttons to the zooming of the lens. This is my fault as I have been shooting with primes mostly. Nevertheless, the camera focused confidently and I don't have to worry myself about the focusing part.






I find that once you eliminates certain factors, you tend to find the whole session to be more enjoyable. And I am beginning to find out why there are so many Lumix lovers out there.

For SGD$200, I think this is a great buy.

Hopefully next blog entry will have some videos.

Thank you for reading.

Comments