Aidiladha using the 28mm and the 50mm lenses.

A mount.
I know my current project is to document the LRT system in my neighborhood. This has taken a backseat seeing that we are in the Circuit Breaker still due to the CoVid virus.
Today, with lots of self doubt, I decide to bring out 2 of my A mount lenses to document the Aidiladha celebrations that my family and I were a part of.

Background.
The A mount lenses, of course refers to the Minolta lens mount. These lenses fit onto Minolta AF cameras. Later on, Minolta was bought over by Sony. These lenses would still fit on the Sony DSLR and DSLT cameras but these seemed to be phased out. These cameras seems to be replaced with E mount cameras such as the A7 series and the Nex series cameras. If one would want to use the lenses on these cameras, then one would need to use the lenses with adapters. I uses the Sony LA-EA4 adapter with my a7ii camera. The adapter adds some bulk but it allows for AF and precise aperture management.

Cup of tea.
Again, with lots of self doubt, I decided to bring out two lenses today, which is the Minolta 28mm 2.8 and the Minolta 50mm 1.7. I am not really comfortable shooting with the 28mm FOV, preferring the 24mm FOV. But in the end, I think I made the right decisions in shooting with the 28mm. Yes, there are some distortion, but with family meals abound, the 28mm seems ideal in documenting the celebrations, at home, indoors and in tight spaces. The 50mm was very useful to isolate facial expressions.

SOOC as much as possible.

Part 1.
The first part of the day was getting ourselves ready. That means, getting the cooking done, and then to get a good family picture, which if at all possible...
For today, I made use of my manfrotto tripod, one which I hardly used seeing  how good IBIS is on many modern cameras. Of course, it was quite a frantic affair as wifey underestimated how much time she needed to get the food done.

After we packed the food and separate them into two portions, we got dressed. Decided to go for
Red this year. These are all recycled clothes, from the last few years. I guess we saved quite a few dollars this year.

Idris potrait using the Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF

Meli with the pulut kuning using the Minolta 28mm 2.8.
Part 2.
Next we went to visit my dad, who is now staying with my younger sister. He cooked, as well as we did and thus there were lots of food on the table. Since it was still CB period, we could not all congregate as one, thus my youngest sister and her family were not there. She came in the later part of the day.

Tante with Nadine. Minolta 50mm 1.7 AF

Dhia. Minolta 50mm 1,7 AF

Nadine. Minolta 50mm 1,7 AF

Atuk and Idris. Minolta 50mm 1.7 AF

Momo. Minolta 50mm 1.7 AF

Adam and Atuk. Minolta 50mm 1.7 AF.

Shots like the one with Adam and Atuk made me realised that a wider fov is necessary.

Atuk. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF

Meli, enjoying the food. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF

My younger sister. In her baju kurung. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF

Momo and Tante. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF


Part 3.
About half past one, We went to visit my in-laws. There were a couple of reasons of us going there  We were there to gather for Aidiladha and also to celebrate my sister-in-law's and our nephew's birthdays. A simple celebration, a small one but it was a happy one.

Home cooked food in my law's.  Minolta 28mm f2.8 AF.
It was food haven in my in-laws place too. They cooked too, but this time my sister-in-law did the cooking. So yeah, first time tasting her cooking for Eid.

Dalcha, or curry with lentils. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF

When we were there, my nephew managed to fix up his xbox kinect console and we had a blast playing one of those full body games, such as Dance Dance. I think the majority of us, me included were involved. We worked up quite a sweat.

Celebration time.
We had presents for the July babies and from the pictures, it was a very happy birthday celebrations. Gifts were simple, more of a last minute buys, not expensive but meaningful. In that, I mean the day where and when we got the presents were when I muster up the courage to ride the escalators after the longest of time. Alhamdulilah.

My mother-in-law. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF

The July babies. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF

With the in laws. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF. Cropped.

Cake cutting. With a home made pulut kuning cooked by wifey. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF.

Where the 28mm is more appropriate. Minolta 28mm 2.8 AF. Opening of presents.

Joy. Minolta 50mm 1,7 AF.

The 50mm did get its share of use. And in times like this, where the expression is more important a fast 50mm lens is more welcomed.


Conclusion.
The Minolta 28mm is not a perfect lens, It is not distortion free. However, at SGD $100, it is a welcome alternative to the native sony one. I have not had the opportunity to use the sony 28mm f2 lens though.
As for the focal length, I would choose this for indoor family events.over the 24mm and the 35mm. Both the 24mm and the 35mm fov seems to be more suited for outdoor street shooting style. The 24mm will give a bit more distortion especially when taking verticals and will distort facial features more, while the 35mm, in my opinion will give too tight a fov.
Yes I do have have a zoom, but a fast zoom is always needed, especially when its indoors.

Regardless, it was a meanigful day for me. Even with the threat of CoVid, we still meet. That is a blessing, Alhamdulilah.

Keep on shooting.
Exif data can be found here.

Comments