The 'A' mount.

The 'A'mount.

First used by the Minolta company for its SLR cameras. It stll lives, with me. News on the internet, that SONY, has started to discontinue the 'A' mount, comes to no surprise, at least for me. No new products have been launched.

Read here. 

 

The 'A' mount system was also the first system that I started with photography journey with.

With guidance from a friend, I started with the Dynax 600si, a film camera. I shot witth the 28-80mm kits lens that I have to top up money for, instead of the 35-70mm lens that its came kitted with. I remember I bought it as Cathay Photostore in Peninsular. That camera stood with me until it fell, literally, while on a tripod, in Changi Beach. The mirror came loose and it pierce the shutter blades. Not knowing better, I replaced it with a Dynax 8000i, one generation back. I need one with s pc-sync socket to connect my Metz 60-Ct4 hammerhead flash with it.

 

The digital era came, several years later and I invested in the Konica Minolta 7D, $3000 upwards. 

Also bought the Konica 5D, used, as a back up. 6mp cameras that serves me well, until their dials became unresponsive. They are still here, with me, somewhere on a shelf in the living room.

 

After buying, using and still having, other systems, I came across somebody who was selling a Sony A99, for $350. 

The whole kit, batteries and vertical grip! I grab that opportunity, got hold of the seller and, who happened to live about 10 minutes away, and I got it! That camera, which used to be more than $2000 is in my hands.

 

As I have never or I could ever sell any of my 'A' mount lens, using them on my Sony A7ii with the LAEA4 adapter, now I could use them on their native mount. 

Found the handling of the A7ii very fiddly and unbalanced to say the least, I longed to hold something which I am very familiar with. With those lenses mounted on the A99, my hands felt home.

Now that news of the 'A' mount being discontinued has reached me, which I found it to be very disturbing, nostalgia hits. As with the age of dinosaurs, it too might become extinct.

 

As luck would have it, while rummaging through my dry cabinet, 

I found an adapter which was on the back of a 135mm lens. That adapter allows me to mate a m42 mount lens onto my 'A' mount camera. I was overjoyed. Now, not only can I play with my 'A' mount lens, I can also use my M42 mount lens, on it. Can't wait.


 

So, 

I dont think this mount is dead, If this camera body were to fail on me, I would look for another in the used marked. I mean, its been more than 20 years of waiting, what's a few more?

Thank you for reading.

Slim.

06052021

Comments