Shooting with film, its quite a journey.

Its not the beginning, its a part of the beginning. 

    I have just received the scans from the 3rd photo developing shop. This shop, runs via the postal service. What I needed to do is to fill in a form, wait for their confirmation and then mailed the rolls of film in. Depending on the type of film you sent in, you have to wait for the images to be sent to you via a link, By clicking on the link, you can download the files to your computer. If you had paid for the option to have your negative returned back to you, then you have to wait for them in the mail. The time needed for all these ranges from a long time to a very very very long time. 


My son, Idris. Kodak ColorPlus 200, CZ 85mm 1.4


       This time around, the scans were less yellowish as compared to the first one I went to. Between this and the second one I have been to, preference between them are split almost evenly. The second is a brick and mortar shop. I have to physically hand the film canisters to them and after paying them upfront, I will received a yellow piece of paper stating that I have paid and a 4 digit reference number. If its a normal roll of negative film, they said it will take 2 or 3 working days. I got my link, to view the scanned images, on the very same day. 

    Its so fantastic! The downside is, it is about 40 minutes drive from where I live. The upside is, the cost per roll, is about $15, all in. Did I mentioned they are not open Wednesdays and Sundays and all public holidays? But they do have a drop box outside their shop where you can just drop the film cannisters in.

    This 3rd one, has a bit more hassle thrown in, in how it operates. Besides the waiting, I  have to go to the website, fill in details such as how many rolls, my name and email address. For this option, the cost goes up depending on the options I choose. Its more expensive if I send in a roll that need an ECN2 process and / or a black and white roll of film. I will have to pay more if I want my negative scanned at a higher resolution. It will add up, and one of those that add up will be the postage costs. Its $2 one way.


Kodal ColorPlus 200, Nikon FA and Nikon 55mm 2.8 micro.

        Between the two, I would choose another if I need it done in a more urgent manner. I chatted up this lady boss, who said that if I send in by 4pm, I can have the film processed and scanned by 7 pm. But it has to be a roll of film that is C41 process-able as they cannot take ECN2 films. Still, an option is an option.

Sultan Mosque, Just because. Kodak ColorPlus 200

    I have just send in a ECN2 roll to option number 2. It is costing me about $17.00 and it will take 5-7 working days. I can wait. I think its a roll shot with the Minolta X700. I also have another roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 and I will send it in next Monday. I am trying to be  discipline about it. Just one roll per week to be submitted on a Monday. Wish me luck.

Until my next post.



Comments