While waiting, now what? Featuring the Contax S2.

The Waiting.

    As in previous post, I have just sent in a ECN-2 roll to be processed. I was mentioned that it will take a about 7 working days for the scans to be ready. Today is working day number 3. I am not even half way.

    As it is, I have a black and white roll in my Contax S2 and I am theme shooting with this one.


Contax S2 with the Contax 50mm 1.4

    Unlike previous rolls, where I mainly shoot potraits of my family members and some flowers, quite aimlessly I might add, this roll is different. With this roll, and a very limited number of frames, I am going for "reflection". As it is, I have yet finish shooting the roll, and once I am done with that, I have to wait a further 7 working days to get my scans back.

    In the meantime, I would like to share with you, what I have relearnt, new things that I have learned and of course, things I wish I had learn before its too late.


Know Your Camera.

    But how could you know your camera before you buy or get one handed to you? A bit of research would help tremendously. Know your budget, know whether you would like to focus manually or automatically. Know the heritage of the manufacturer of the camera you plan to plonk your hard earned money into. Know that even though many cameras, like the Contax I am currently using may all look the same, they may perform the same function, its the how that makes them different. Its the how that makes using them more or less pleasant. The Contax uses a spot meter, exclusively to measure the light. Many others uses a center weighted metering system. And then, there is the Nikon FA which has a matrix metering system.

    Anywaaaaay, you really need to know your camera, not just what you want the camera to do, but also what the camera is telling you. This is especially important when it comes to metering. 

    Metering is when, you use your camera to identify the light situation of the image you want to capture. Your camera will tell you, advise you on  the light situation of the image through the shutter speed and the aperture that it recommends. It does this, through its metering system. It evaluate the scene and then propose the corresponding shutter speed and aperture. Then it is up to you, to interpret those evaluation. Interprer wrongly, amd you may have a severely underexposed picture at the end of a 10 day wait.


Underexposed.
    

    The picture above is simply because I was ignoring the signs of what the camera was telling me. I kept up the shutter speed so as to reduce handshakes, ignoring that my aperture was not big or wide enough to let enough light in. Voila, standard textbook of having mud in your pictures.

    The next step, after one has know and communicate well the camera, is to exceed the limitaions it sets. Quite useful when you want to capture sillhoute and the likes.


Until my next post.



Comments