Its all part of the process. A never ending process.

Never never ending.
Been shooting with film, and like most people, can only average about a roll a week, max. But, what roll, which roll, on which camera, which lens? The combination is almost infinite, at least to me. 
In this post, I am going to write on the many, many film rolls available, even as people complained about limited film stocks.

There used to be a time when, there are 2 major film producers, Fuji and Kodak. So its either you are team green (fuji) or team yellow (kodak). Occasionally, you will meet somebody who is a team blue (konica) or team red (agfa). In my part of the world, either you are a romantic, or a rebel, that you will be a member to any of the latter team. 

Nowadays, things are much different. Now team yellow is no longer an actual yellow, but is a part of team green, and there is now many teams to be a part of. The ironic is, since there are limited film stocks, may new flavours from the same film stock has appeared. Its the same film, just repackaged, into cool, artistic film canisters and boxes. These new flavours can be much more expensive as well.

I believe, in no apparent statistic or scientific justification, these are due to films stocks being made more available to be bulk loaded and also the apparent abundance of cinema films. 

Team Yellow, is it?


Cinema films are motion picture films which are bulk rolled into film canisters and sold as photography films. In my opinion, that is great. More choices for the masses. Does one need to be lied to though? The picture above shows a motion picture film that has its remjet removed. Its in team yellow colours. But is it though?

Many would say that the original film was from Kodak Vision 3 film, a team yellow offering. But I would not know that, as its not stated. What's stated is that it is a motion picture film and its C41 process compatible. But the most glaring omission on the canister is the lack of an expiry date. It is also not on the box as this particular one, and 4 others, does not come in their boxes. 

Seeing that I have already bought, I might as well used it.

And then the results showed this.

Did Scotty asked for a beam me up?

Excrement happened. We all experience it, then we move on. But I do not know the cause of this, makes it almost impossible to move on. Was it an xray machine fault, was there really starship enterprise trying to beam somebody up or down, was it the lab's fault or was it my fault?

Would it be so hard as to have a standard collection of words to state the origin of the film, and the expiry dates. Power to those who know.

Sometimes, the film do produce fantastic results, photo below is from the same film stock but a different role.

Shot on a Nikon FA

Can I risk using a film which give such inconsistent images? Savings of a few dollars nevertheless, but as one shoots more, one needs certainty especially in their films. I tend not to. Such films are good for checking light leaks, or mechanical failures of a camera. If there are nice results, then that is a bonus. 

I suggest, once the testing phase has concluded, get a film stock, that you are comfortable, for each category or type of film, and stick with it.
I just shot a Cinestill 800T equivalent. I shot it for my dad's birthday celebration. I am getting stressed as to how it will turned out.

Wish me luck.

A frame from Team Yellow Ultramax 400.







Comments